Millions of people are diagnosed with urolithiasis, or kidney stone disease, each year. It is one of the most painful conditions treated in the field of urology, and every kidney stone patient shares the same goal of prompt, safe relief.
Urologist Dr. Mark Hong is an experienced surgeon and compassionate caregiver who uses minimally invasive, advanced technologies to treat kidney stones at our Phoenix office. If you are seeking diagnosis, or would like to learn more about your treatment options, schedule an appointment at our practice today.
What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones occur when substances that are normally dissolved in the urine begin to crystallize inside the body. Once stones have begun to form, they become larger as new crystalline deposits form around the original kidney stone.
Kidney stones frequently move through the urinary tract and can cause irritation and blockages. Symptoms including pain, fever, nausea, and blood in the urine may occur as a result. Depending on the location, composition, and size of the stones, they can even cause serious damage to the kidneys.
Stones are often caused by not drinking enough water, though you may also have other issues with your diet or metabolism that need to be addressed. Kidney stones run in families and often come back over and over, so it is important to try to prevent stones from forming before you have pain or need surgery.
During a thorough evaluation, Dr. Hong will discuss your symptoms with you and work quickly to diagnose the cause of your pain and discomfort. Blood work, comprehensive urine tests, X-rays, and computed tomography (CT) scans may be used to confirm your diagnosis.
Advanced Treatment Methods
Our office is equipped with advanced technologies to provide quick, effective treatment for kidney stones. Available treatment options include:
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy(ESWL)
- This minimally-invasive technology breaks up kidney stones using focused ultrasound waves completely from the outside of your body
- Laser Lithotripsy
- During this incision-less procedure, Dr. Hong uses a minimally invasive, specialized laser to break down and remove the stones.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
- In cases where the stones are too large to be broken up by shockwave or laser therapy, PCNL is a minimally-invasive technique to allow Dr. Hong to remove the kidney stones directly.
- Robotic Surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery involves using advanced robotic tools through tiny incisions to remove very large stones. This minimally invasive form of surgery greatly reduces healing time and scarring compared to open surgery.
- Stone Prevention Profile
- Dr. Hong can use medications and recommend dietary changes that will help prevent kidney stones from recurring.
Even after kidney stones have been successfully treated, patients who have had them are greater than 50% more likely to experience them again than someone who has never had kidney stones. Fortunately, medications and dietary changes can significantly reduce your chances of a recurrence.
Learn More about Our Kidney Stone Treatment
Dr. Hong is a fellowship-trained urologist with years of experience treating kidney stones, and understands the pain and complications the condition can cause. Our state-of-the-art techniques and modern facility can help you find relief in the quickest, safest way possible.
Dr. Hong is a renowned urologist who has helped patients in Phoenix and beyond find the relief and peace of mind they deserve using the most sophisticated treatments available. Contact us today to learn more, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hong.